Friday, September 02, 2011

Dome of the Rock... and Realizing the Holocaust!


25/8/11

Still in Jerusalem

2135 (local time)

So I’m writing this about my adventures yesterday the 24th. Today was the day that I ‘tried’ to get up early so I could go to visit the Dome of the Rock which closes at 11am due to Ramadan! So after an extensive breakfast I headed out to the old city to where I then went to the Dome of the Rock.

The Dome of the Rock is a Muslim shrine located on Temple Mount, the reason why this is so significant and seen as such a holy place for the Muslims is because according to Islamic tradition, the rock is the spot from which Muhammad ascended to Heaven accompanied by the angel Gabriel. Further, Muhammad was taken here by Gabriel to pray with Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. After Muhammad's return, he called all who would believe him to join with him and be Muslim (source: Wikipedia)

Unless your Muslim, you are not allowed in the Dome of the Rock or the Mosque, but it is very beautiful just from the outside, so I stood around took some photos and just admired how beautiful it is. At 11am I was asked to leave as it is Ramadan, so I happy left and made my way to the light rain tram and took it all the way to the end as I was heading to Yad Veshem this is the Holocaust Museum. I knew a little about the Holocaust, about what happened etc, but not to this extent.

In the museum they obviously had war hero’s telling horrific stories of their ordeal with the Nazi’s. Truly 
terrible things!

I stayed in the Museum for over 2 hours, when I left the exit lead to a beautiful view overlooking the mountains, so it turned something that got most people quite depressed, to something quite beautiful.
I caught the tram back to Sandra’s and enjoyed a nice quiet evening.

The End! Until tomorrow!

Much love!

Shalom

Steve

Dome of the Rock

Dome!



No comments:

Post a Comment