Monday, June 11, 2012

Amsterdam - Coffee Shops, Sex Museums and Bikes!


2/6/12

1942 (local time)

Leer (Ostfriesl) Bus Station #Friggin’ Cold

How badly can one man stack his connections that he has turned a 5 hour train ride into a 9 hour and 5 different stop-over’s using both Train’s and Buses. Yep, I can!

A hung over Steve got on the bus from Amsterdam, got mega confused about where I was, so got off a stop to early leaving him stranded in some random city trying to pick up the pieces from there.
Never mind though, let’s not take away from the most amazing time I had in Amsterdam.

I was greeted at the Amsterdam Central bus-station by Arrianne, she was pretty easy to spot with her platinum blonde hair, and I’m pretty sure I was just as easy to find as I feel as if my backpack is crushing my entire spine.

I took a tram back to her flat whilst she peddled her old sketchy push bike with no breaks and still managed to beat the tram back.

We went out for beers as soon as we got in, and I could see that I was going to enjoy my time here! The canals that run through the city make it look beautiful at night that no lens would be able to capture.
It was bizarre, everywhere I went on first impressions I felt intimated, not because I felt any anger upon me, but everyone is just really really tall. I don’t claim to be a short guy, I’m hitting a vertical peak at about 178cm, whilst every male (and female) is 6ft and beyond!

Anyway, so Arrianne felt obliged to take me around the city and do at least some of the touristy stuff, so I hired a red bike for the day and we set off. Riding past Anne Franks house was pretty cool, didn’t go in because there was a queue that went almost went around the entire block. So I snapped a quick photo, and we set back off again.

-Warning- 
If you don’t like the idea of your son/friend/grandson/cousin/nephew engaging in illegal drugs then skip the next paragraph.


Next up was a Coffee shop, we found a little laneway that had a cosy Coffee shop and got comfy and baked. I’ve done some smoking in Egypt, but the stuff there does not even come close to the strength of the stuff in Amsterdam.

I got pretty wrecked, but once I pulled myself together we got back on our bikes and headed down to the Sex Museum.

So by the time we got to the Museum we were still pretty baked, and for anyone that has tried Marijuana you know about the different stages you go through with the drug. Fortunately by the time we got to the Sex Museum, we both had the giggles. The things they have at this Museum was borderline cringe-worthy but was definitely a great laugh. After getting lost, we finally saw daylight and went on another bike ride.

If you have never been to Amsterdam, you would have heard that they just ride their bikes everywhere. When I heard this I was like, that’s cool, few bikes on the road… no dramas. But, when you get there… everyone is on a bike. Kids, Adults, Fat People etc, and if you can’t ride a bike there are people you can pay to ride you around… So for the heads up, before you cross the road… look both way for bikes!
When we started our tour, I asked Arrianne if she has ever crashed…
“No Steve, I never crash” she replied.

Just as she said this, a old dude rides straight into the back of her… I was amused by the old guy certainly wasn’t.

Then, only last night as we were riding Arrianne’s bike to the next pub she got shouted at by another Lady in her mid-50’s because apparently Arrianne accidently kicked her side bag as she hopped onto the bike. So in the period of 2 days, Arrianne went from having a clean sheet, to causing 2 accidents… Good Work!
Right, back to the tour after visiting the Sex Museum we cruised around checking out all different parts of the city: Red Light District, a house where squatters took ownership of a house.

It was the nights that I enjoyed the most, we stayed out of the touristy bars, so I got a real feel of Amsterdam culture. There is defiantly a divide between people though, like in sports you have Windsurfers v. Kitesurfers, Skateboarders v. Rollerbladers/BMX’s, Snowboarding v. Skiers. In Amsterdam you have the Non-Collared v. Collared bars. (I’m referring to guy’s shirts.)
Had some great nights out, meeting loads of different people and potentially ruining any chances of them coming to Australia J.

Anyway, my fingers feel as if they are about to freeze off so I will sign off here.

Take care and remember let the force be with you!

Cheers Skin-Up-Ski & Dirk Diggler! Xx

Arrianne hangin out in front of Anne Franks house!

Anne Franks

Nice photo of the house's 'on' the river!

Just come out of the coffee shop!

This is cool... These houses were taken over by squatters! 

Lovin' the art work!



Our go at an 'arty' photo of all the bikes! The red one is mine!

This is a cool looking village inside Amsterdam! You wouldnt even know its there! Women hid there during WW2.



Me and Arrianne Riding through a cool looking park!

Nice looking building, potentially the town hall?!


I AM AMSTERDAM

No comments:

Post a Comment